Senior Drilling Engineer
EnQuest is an independent oil and gas development and production company, focused on turning opportunities into value by targeting maturing assets and undeveloped oil fields. We are one of the largest independent UK oil producer in the UK North Sea, and have also established a presence in oil basins outside the North Sea, as part of our long term growth strategy.
Fundamental to EnQuest’s success to date is our greatest asset – our people. Their talent, expertise, knowledge, experience and commitment have delivered remarkable results and we continue to look for the same attributes in prospective new employees as we pursue plans for further development in the UKCS and internationally.
EnQuest have a requirement for a Senior Drilling Engineer (SDE) in EnQuest’s Wells department.
The role covers both subsea and platform wells and involves supporting drilling, completion, workover and abandonment operations from onshore. The SDE is also responsible for conducting well engineering design & planning activities.
The principle accountabilities of the SDE role are–
- Ensuring that the highest safety standards are attained and that all equipment and procedures are in compliance with EnQuest standards and procedures, regulations and industry best practice.
- Developing engineering designs, operations programmes and cost estimates for well activities, in accordance with the EnQuest Well Delivery Process, ensuring sound engineering principles and practices are applied, implementing lessons learnt and using agreed company systems and standards.
- Preparing the following documents:
- HSE Notification
- OPEP Submission
- Chemical Permit Application
- Consent to locate Application
- Drilling Programme
- Weekly HSE Report
- End of Well Report
- Working closely with subsurface disciplines to deliver fit for purpose well designs and operations programmes.
- Monitoring of operational progress and cost reports to identify ways of optimising performance, minimising NPT (Non-Productive Time) and maximising cost-effectiveness.
- Liaising closely with the contracts and supply chain to ensure service quality.
- Liaising closely with the logistics support functions to optimise offshore logistics support.
- Acting as sponsor for one or more service contracts and review or assist with tender preparation and evaluation of drilling operations services as required.
- Participating in the maintenance of the BMS (Business Management System) where applicable to the Wells department.
- Ensuring compliance with policies, procedures and regulatory requirements for well intervention, maintenance and construction activities.
- Liaising with the Health & Safety Executive (HSE) and BEIS (Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy) as appropriate on all well work issues, and be accountable for all regulatory reporting as required.
- Assisting with preparation of budgets and manage costs to achieve best value for money.
- Performing assigned emergency response duties and participate in the weekend duty (’on call’) rota.
- Working together with Completions and Subsea Engineers to ensure interfaces are effectively managed.
- Liaising daily with the Drilling Supervisors during well operations.
- Taking on the delegated authority of the Drilling Superintendent in his or her absence.
- Traveling to onshore and offshore worksites to assist with operations, if necessary.
- Carrying out audits of service providers in line with the audit plan of the Wells department.
- Preparing and maintaining a comprehensive risk register for each well activity, ensuring mitigations are fully incorporated in programmes.
- End of Well Reporting, closing out all operations and cost reporting (in conjunction with Cost Engineer) at the end of an activity.
The desired candidate has good verbal and written communication and presentation skills, and is able to –
- Work with individuals from varied backgrounds in a multi-cultural environment.
- Present themselves in a professional and ethical manner, in line with the EnQuest values.
- Work effectively in a team, but equally able to work on own initiative with minimum supervision.
- Source information and knowledge by tapping into to a range of contacts in the industry.
- Interface across a wide range of disciplines and organisations.
Skills & attributes
The desired candidate -
- Maintains a safe working environment, complying with and promoting EnQuest’s HSE&A policy.
- Is a motivated self-starter, who is proactive, flexible and able to respond positively to challenge and ad-hoc requests.
- Strives for continuous improvement; brings solutions and constantly seeks new and better ways to work to achieve Operations Excellence.
- Actively shares EnQuest’s vision and demonstrates an ability to adapt to change.
- Has strong organisational and planning skills.
- Is familiar with probabilistic cost estimating.
- Is able to –
- Work effectively with Microsoft Office software.
- Work effectively with drilling engineering software such as Landmark’s Wellplan, Stresscheck, etc.
- Strike the right balance between commercial and technical objectives.
- Prepare realistic time schedules for completing work.
The desired candidate has experience which includes –
- Supervising offshore well operations (on-site) as representative of an operating company.
- Working onshore in multidisciplinary project teams, as well as well engineering teams, in an operating company environment.
- Technical and managerial support of well operations from onshore.
- Designing and planning development wells, side-tracks and abandonments for subsea and platform developments.
- Designing and planning exploration and/or appraisal wells.
The desired candidate has the following qualifications –
- A BSc (Eng) with a proven track record in well design and drilling & completion operations. If a degree is not held, significant evidence of appropriate experience and expertise will be required.
- Appropriate industry learning and training experiences in specialised subjects such as drillstring design, casing design, cementing etc.
- A completed well engineering competency programme.
- IWCF Certificate in Well Control.
- Current offshore survival, medical and MIST certification.
Closing date: 23 May 2019